Previously Fresh Beginnings With Juicing

Good To See You! Fresh Beginnings With Juicing is now The Daily Juicer!

Sunday, June 9, 2013

A Live Foods Workshop

Bob Vaccaro
The flyer says "...Live Foods-Intro to Un-Cooked Foods..." 
 Hmm, I am intrigued by this flyer that I've been seeing at the local Health Food store. Several times I've picked it up and tucked it in my pocket meaning to look further into it, but for whatever reason I never do.  Then my friend Lady Di sends me an email asking if I have registered for the Raw Foods Workshop.   Well, that's all it took to get me off the fence...Let's do it I said and registered that day.  
 Since I've been Juicing and eating a plant strong diet now for over a year (time flies), I want to know more. I want to see what other people do. This seemed like a non-threatening way to do it and since it was called "workshop" it wasn't as intimidating sounding as some of the others I've come across. 

I have the cook books, and I watch the videos' on YouTube, but having a "live" workshop to go to sounds interesting. So yesterday I went.  And I have to say it was really a treat. 

The host is a gentle man whos'  named is Bob Vaccaro.  He's has been eating vegan for 30+ years and for the last 6 years has been eating only Raw "Live" Foods.  He also has a Yoga practice in town called Yoga By Donation.  And like the name of his Yoga practice the Raw Foods Workshop is By Donation as well! He (Bob) wants people to be able to participate and learn how easy eating raw foods really is, so what ever you feel you can afford is ok with him there is no set fee.  And finally the workshop is held at his beautiful home on Middle Street in Portsmouth, NH usually on the second Saturday of every month.    His home alone was worth going for, the gardens were amazing. You feel like you are at a retreat of some kind, and your right in-town.

 Including myself there were 16 people.  Introductions at the beginning of the workshop including a sharing of why everyone was there. Reasons for attending included: Prior workshop attendees who really liked it so they were coming back / They were invited by a friend and were curious / Looking to eat healthier and want to learn more / health issues that finally made them decide to make a change, and a variety of similar reasons.

Bob has a very large dining room table set in the most amazing room with floor to ceiling windows and french doors that open out to the most amazing gardens I've ever seen in an in-town property. Everyone gathered around the table either sitting or standing, while Bob explained what he was going to do. He encouraged everyone to chit chat (while he prepares food) and would ring a little bell if someone asked a question that he thought would benefit the group.  Conversation was great with the other folks and Bob, and it was such a comfortable and relaxed atmosphere.  You could either just watch or help with preparation - very laid back in a good way.  Then everyone would eat after each demonstration.  (Unfortunately I didn't take pictures of everything as I didn't want to be obnoxious).

The 4 hour workshop went by very fast and during that time this is what was demonstrated.

How to Make:
Fresh Juice using a Juicer (he had a Breville)  or Blender (VitaMix)
Fresh Tahini (with Sesame Seeds & Olive Oil in the VitaMix)( then a 2nd version with Orange and Garlic
Lettuce Wraps (with Romain, carrots, cucumber, avocado, sprouts and Tahini dressing)
Tomatoe/Avacado/Basil Soup (in the VitaMix)
Broccoli Slaw (with Broccoli, sprouted Red Lentils, Raisins, Pumpkin seeds and a dressing of the left over Tahini dressing with Olive Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, Honey Mustard, Dressing)
Straberry/Banana Ice Cream - (using Fresh Frozen Bananas and fresh Strawberries)

His cooking utensils included:  
Breville Juicer
Vita Mix
Food Processor
NO STOVE! 

He used Organic fruits and vegetables which he buys primarily from the Portsmouth Health Food Store, Hanniford and other locations that sell Organic.




 Final Analysis:  This was definately worth it! All in all it was a great day and I learned that I'm on the right path and what I've been doing is good and there is so much more to explore when it comes to eating raw foods.   I also met some nice folks who are on their own journey.   I look forward to perhaps taking another workshop in the future.   I learned something new (how to make Tahini, how to sprout Lentils, and the Broccoli Slaw).  Would I go again?   Yes. 

 If you want to learn more about this workshop you can contact Bob by emailing him at Bob@yogabydonation.org or calling him direct at 603-430-4013.  It is a great introduction to how easy this lifestyle really is!  


Brocolli Slaw
Lettuce Wrap

From the Outside In
If you are interested in learning more yourself you can reach Bob at:
 Bob@yogabydonation.org   
or his telephone number is 603-430-4013.

No comments:

Post a Comment